These fritters have really become a staple here in the meyers house, not only because they're delicious, but also because they're relatively healthy! haha I came up with these last fall just kindof as a way to mix fried foods with these extra garden veggies in a fun and easy way and I love the result! The mixture is so basic that its really more just to bring out the flavor of the zucchini, and because they're more thin than say zucchini cakes they turn out with a crispy outside and a soft warm center:
Ems Zucchini Fritters
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/3 C. flour (whole wheat works too:))
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- cracked black pepper
- olive oil
1. Grate up your zucchini in a medium sized bowl and top with the egg, flour, salt, and a dash or black pepper. Mix together just in a circular motion using your fingertips till the zucchini is coated and the whole mixture is pasty and sticky.
2. Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of your saucepan and turn the heat to medium/low. To make the patties I like to scoop about 1/3 cup of the mixture with my fingers together in a cupping shape and form the mixture with my other hand into a circleuar patty.
3. Gently place your patty in the hot oil by just letting it slip from your fingers into the oil (I know it sounds weird and scary but it'll make sense when you're doing it:)) Make sure your oil isn't spattering and cracking first! lol
4. While your fritters are cooking in the pan I like to add a tiny bit of fresh ground pepper to each one. Really brings out the flavor I think, just don't add too much! You'll be able to tell the first side is done because you'll see browning from the top. Carefully flip over in the pan and use the spatula to press down a little in the middle so help with even cooking.
The outside is just so crisp and crunchy almost, and the inside is so soft and chewy. Mmmm!!! I may go have to make some more right about now... I actually crave these before any other fried food, so give them a try and let me know how you like them!
5. Move the finished fritters to a paper towel-covered plate and serve immediatly! To cut the oil just a bit more place another paper towel inbetween the batches of the fritters, if they hang around long enough for that! haha