KEY LIME PIE (ingredients: ‘love food’ cookbook, method: my own):
- 6 0z graham crackers (about 1 1/3 packages)
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 oz butter, melted
- Butter, for greasing
- 1 3/4 Cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Freshly Squeezed lime juice
- finely grated rind of 3 limes
- 4 egg yolks
- whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit. lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate or spring-form pan, about 1 1/2 inches deep
- to make crumb crust, place crackers, sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor or using a hand mixer, blend or process untill fine crumbs form, but DO NOT reduce mixture to powder. add melted butter and mix again gently with hand blender or with hands till moistened.
- Tip crumb mixture into springform pan and press evenly over base and up the sides. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- meanwhile, beat the condensed milk, lime juice, lime rind, and egg yolks together in a bowl until well blended.
- remove the crumb crust from the oven, pour the filling into the crumb crust, and gently spread to the edges. return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or so, or until the filling is set around the edge but still wobbly in the center.
- let cool completely on a wire rack, than cover and let chill in the fridge (preferably for at least two hours or over night ).
- serve with a large dollop of whipped cream. enjoy!